Thursday, April 24, 2008

Language is Beautiful: Lollygagging


Yes, even a dog like me can appreciate the beauty of language. My ears perk up when I hear new words. I take a fancy to alliterative phrases and I'm a sucker for a floofy description.

The other day I fell in love with the word lollygagging. According to Webster's Dictionary:

lollygag |ˈlälēˌgag| (also lallygag)
verb ( -gagged, -gagging) [ intrans. ] informal

spend time aimlessly; idle : >he sends her to Arizona every January to lollygag in the sun.
• dawdle : we're lollygagging along.
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: of unknown origin.


I think I took a fancy to this particular word since I tend to do a lot of lollygagging around the yard, the neighborhood, the house, and the studio.

Is it just me or do you read the dictionary for fun too?

Bark at you later,
PJ the dog blogging dog :-)

0 comments: