Wednesday, March 29, 2006

iPod Zombies: Pombies?


Pombie the iPod Zombie
I recently heard the phrase "iPod Zombies," which originated in a New York Village Voice (I think) article. Now, I'm a huge fan of Apple, but I just had to play around with my paws (ie the above image).

So, the zombie aspect got me thinking. It's true! I see so many people with white earbuds in their ears as they walk, jog, skateboard, rollerblade, shop, drive, and even gardening. As a dog, I'm kind of invisible, but with earbuds, I can sneak right up on these "iPod Zombies." So much fun!

Being they have grown in exponential numbers lately (even the carpool lane!), I've come up with my own term for the earbud-wearing-white-wires-hanging-from-ears-oblivious-to-the-world-around-them-as-they-imbibe-iTunes-at-an-alarming-rate.

Pombies. Yes, you heard it hear first. Pombies are now walking the Earth! Incredibly (not really), movies like Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead, and 28 Days Later come to mind. Most new zombie flicks pay homage to George Romero with a "Dead Walk the Streets" plastered across a newspaper headline. Often the paper will be crumpled, tattered, splattered with blood and strewn in an empty street (for example, Resident Evil at the end of the movie). I wonder if it's inevitable...

I've seen them...and then it got me thinking of yet another movie. They. Great sci-fi flick where the main characters discover (*SPOILER ALERT*), through the use of special sunglasses, that aliens are living and breathing among them. Subliminal messages from the aliens to humans can be seen with the use of the glasses (ie the word Obey on the screen above--you can see it, right? :-))

Ok, so maybe Pombies are not zombies at all. Maybe (and I'm just using my doggie mind here), maybe they are using iPods to detect who and who is not from another planet??

Now, that is a scary thought...

Where are my earbuds? Do they make doggie earbuds? Oh no.....I was wrong. Pombies are on the sidewalk. I see two, no make that three. They wear jeans and t-shirts, but the dangling wires and listless eyes give them away. I think I hear "Pretty Vegas" coming from one of them.

Brains! They want brains. I'm afraid they're going to be disappointed with my entree. :-)

Bark at you later,
PJ the dog blogging (OBEY!) dog :-P

0 comments: