Saturday, February 23, 2008

R.I.P. Gill-Man



So, if you're not a horror fan, you might be wondering, who was the "Gill-Man"?

Ben Chapman played the "Gill-Man" creature from  1954's Creature From the Black Lagoon.

  Sadly, he's passed away and so has another chunk of horror history. Ben's "Gill-Man," featured in three of the "Creature" flicks was memorable, to say the least.  At six foot five, Mr. Chapman had the height necessary to appear intimidating in his foam rubber suit.


Incidentally, some of the lake scenes were filmed right here in California at the exclusive private Malibou Lake.   After seeing this film on one Saturday afternoon, I went to the lake and didn't dare dip even a single paw into the cold rippling water.  Gee wiz, between sharks and the creature, I'm not sure any body of water is safe.  And don't get me started on showers (Norman anyone?).

So, I bid the talented Ben Chapman farewell.  Thank-you for scaring me as a young pup and for giving me the heebie jeebies. :-)

Bark at you later,

PJ the dog blogging dog :-)

0 comments: