Saturday, October 8, 2005

The Discovery of a Sunflower


sunflower dogSunflower

I discovered a sunflower growing out near the Cecil Bruner Rose bush. The thin green stalk was peeking from behind a small violet and a tendril of Cecil with small tight fisted buds. The youngster is only about 8 inches tall. I don't know how I missed this little lovely ? Perhaps my nose got the better of me as I made my jaunts outside over the last few weeks. I'm not sure.

Discovering a flower planted by wild birds, is magical. The birds brought a seed from somewhere else in this vast world and it landed here, in my yard. I don't know where the seed was or to whom I should offer thanks. But, the least I can do, is say Thank-you and let my words carry on the lift of a gust of wind.

I held back my urge to dig up the sunflower. Being a dog, this is considered extreme in terms of control. I was able to master this ability by concentrating on those devious devils, my arch enemies, the Irises. I can rip through them in seconds. The bulbs are fun to toss around, once you get a whole pile of 'em. But, I digress.

I shall let this sunflower alone. Perhaps it will open up to a large foot wide sunflower smile soon. Maybe the leaves will be landing strips for monarchs and hummingbirds.

We shall see. Gobble up some PeachPoPs while you're at it.

Bark at you later,
PJ the dog blogging dog.

0 comments: