Thursday, December 6, 2007

What Happened to Christmas!



Is Christmas disappearing before our very eyes?


This year the trees are all "holiday" trees, rather than Christmas Trees. And I suppose "holiday" ornaments are what we use as decorations? I think not.

The lights we decorate our homes with are now "holiday" lights. Well, no, at my home they are Christmas lights and it says so on the plastic box we store them in. Heck, the lights are even in the original box reading Christmas Lights for Exterior Display. Go figure.

This year the boxed cards mostly read: "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays." I'm assuming "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Hanukkah" have just been left out by...mistake? Maybe the printing presses were offended.

This year it's definitely not called Christmas break at school. No, it's "Winter Recess" or a lovely spin-off referred to as "Winter Holiday."

This year the kids can't sing "Merry Christmas", "Jingle Bells", or any mention of good old Saint Nick. Yikes!

This year Santa Claus has been banned from uttering "Ho, Ho, Ho" for fear of offending American women. Gee, way to stifle the Freedom of Speech for Santa, err, I mean the jolly old elf? Wait, no Santa, right? Ok, no gifts then, right?

Is everyone forgetting why we celebrate Christmas in the first place? The last time I checked the twenty fifth of December is about the birth of Jesus. Oh my gosh, I said the ultimate holiday profanity word. Jesus. Oh my gosh! I said Jesus again.

And you know what? I'm not going to stop. I'm going to sign my CHRISTMAS cards with a big fat black letters spelling out MERRY CHRISTMAS. I'm going to decorate my CHRISTMAS TREE with CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS and then I'm going to sing "OH HOLY NIGHT" while waiting for SANTA CLAUS to come down my chimney. I'll know he's arrived because he'll be saying "HO, HO, HO" and M and M won't be a bit offended by his exclamation.

If you think I'm a little upset by the ridiculous movement to take all religion out of Christmas, well, you're right. I'm all for everyone to have their own beliefs. More power to you! But when you try to take away all that makes Christmas special , I'm likely to get all North Pole on ya. Yeah, that's right, ya "better watch out whose naughty and nice."

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Bark at you later,
PJ the dog blogging dog :-)

P.S. If for any reason this has offended anyone, I have to ask, why were you reading a post about Christmas in the first place silly? :-P

0 comments: