Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beauty is... a Bald Eagle in Idaho




When I first saw this image, I didn't see the obvious focus of the photo. First, I must confess, I love looking at the eyes of a bird. So, naturally, I only saw the eyes and my doggie mind must have "filled" in the missing parts of the image. Then I looked again and saw the missing upper beak.

While listening to this news story, the reporter made some comment about the name "Beauty" being quite ironic since the Eagle is disfigured. Well, I disagree. Beauty is absolutely beautiful, much like Georgiana in "The Birthmark" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The Aylmer-like comment left me curious enough to find out more about this majestic eagle.

Beauty, a seven year old Bald Eagle, lost her uppear beak to a bullet. They've been hand-feeding Beauty since her rescue from a landfill in Alaska. In June, a bionic upper beak will be attached with either glue or screws. This artificial bionic beak will aid in drinking water, preening, and eating (though not tearing of meat, according to some experts).

I bet Beauty will adapt quite nicely to this new beak. In fact, I'll even say Beauty might just surprise everyone at how well she adapts to the new beak.

After all, this bird has a not only a fighting spirit, but the American fighting spirit. Rock on Beauty!

Bark at you later,
PJ the dog blogging dog :-)

0 comments: