Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dogs in Advertising









The other day as I loafed around on a hot Sunday, I discovered just how many dogs I kept seeing on television. I barked up a storm I tell ya! The overall theme for this season seems to be dogs who like to sleep in their human's beds. First one bloodhound made his human breakfast in bed. Of course this was so the bloodhound could then get the human up and out of the house and then he could rest comfortably in the warm cozy bed himself.

The next one had a small dog already asleep in the human's bed and when "Mommy" comes home, the dog rushes back to his doggie bed at the foot of the bed on the floor.

This got me to thinking about how much dogs are utilized in advertising. Dogs project a sense of family, home, loyalty, and comical relief in the advertising world. Some dogs are goofy and provide a whimsical nature to the ad, while others are just so darn cute that you can't help but watch. Dogs connect people to other people too. If you love dogs, you're probably more likely to watch a commercial with a dog in it then one without. Come to think of it, I catch myself watching the ads with any animal.

So, the next time you're catching an episode of Lost or flipping through Vogue, check out the ads. I bet you'll find a dog or two.

Bark at you later,
PJ the dog blogging dog :-)

0 comments: